Monday, December 14, 2020

Day 96 - Crimson Topaz

 


This wasn't a great year to peruse the apple section for new subjects to dissect.  I used to hit grocery stores, farmers markets, orchards, back alleys, dark webs, every warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse, doghouse I could find.  You know, the COVID hit.  We have been getting our groceries delivered since April 4th.  I have only experienced 4 new apples this year.

I bought a quarter peck of Crimson Topaz at Peck and Bushel Organic Fruit Co.  The Crimson Topaz was developed in the 1990's in the Czech Republic.  It is a cross between a Vanda and a Rubin.

The flavor is tart, sour, or as they say on the Great British Baking Show, sharp but still sweet.  They are small to medium in size and have a uniform round shape with a white inner flesh and a bright red exterior with yellow highlights.  The one pictured above had a cool racing stripe!  I found them to be crisp and juicy but they browned rather quickly once the skin was breached.  I prefer my apples a little less tart but if you like that then check 'em out.

Next time, I compare Captain Morgan Apple Spiced Rum with Sailor Jerry Savage Apple Rum, crunch on!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment