Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Day 37 - Organic Braeburn and Dreams


Today's apple is the organic version of my old friend, from the 1990's, the Braeburn.  It is a good apple, this one is a good apple.  I would place it somewhere in the middle if I were ranking them, sweet, juicy, tart and fairly firm.

I would not be doing this blog today if not for the Braeburn.  As I said in my Day 9 review,  I was on lunch break at work at the Fox affiliate in Rochester, NY around 1997.  I brought an apple for lunch that day, not realizing it would be the best apple I had every eaten.  It was such a good apple, sweet, juicy, tart, just the right level of firmness and most importantly, that fragrant, floral quality that I had never experienced in an apple!  It was like the apple had been injected with rose water, wow!  It was like looking God in the face!  My legs buckled, I dropped my chips and they literally fell in slow motion.  I screamed, "Oh my God!" and then passed out.

I awoke, face down in a pile of broken chips and dreams to Ted the janitor emptying the trash.  I surveyed the room carefully but any evidence of the Braeburn's existence was gone.  I grabbed Ted by the leg and pleaded, "have you seen ... an apple?"  He said, "no" and pulled away quite rudely. Maybe the whole thing was a dream.  I have been chasing that dragon ever since.

Tomorrow, I review Sun Made brand dried Washington apples.  Crunch on!



No comments:

Post a Comment