Saturday, April 14, 2018

Day 70 - Apples & Cinnamon Instant Oatmeal


Nothing takes me back to childhood like flavored Instant Oatmeal.  It is quick and easy to make, even for a snot-nosed kid.  It warms the belly and can fill ya up until lunch.

Today I review Quaker Apples & Cinnamon Oatmeal and Better Oats Thick & Hearty Apples & Cinnamon Oatmeal.

For most of my life, I just added hot water to the oatmeal, until my mom visited 7 months ago.  She added cold water and milk to her oatmeal and heated it in the microwave.  We got in a big fight about the proper way to make oatmeal.  Dishes and knives were thrown, name calling ensued.  We disowned each other as mother and son, tears were shed, the cops were called.  In the end, I realized that she was right, oatmeal is way better heated up in the microwave.  The oats soak up the water way better yielding a much smoother texture.  Making it with milk or half milk/half water also makes it taste better.

Now, I compare the two kinds of oatmeal.  Quaker is a classic.  There are generic versions that are very similar but this is the stuff of memory.  I like the texture, it is smooth and creamy.  There is a good balanced apple and cinnamon flavor with some tang, sweetness and spice.

I don't like the Better Oats kind as well.  The oats are thicker cut so it is a little chunkier and they don't absorb the water as much so it is a little runnier.  It also could be a little sweeter for me.  This oatmeal also includes flax seeds, known as an ancient grain, used by the ancient Druids in Pagan rituals!

So my pick is Quaker Apples & Cinnamon Oatmeal.  The flax seeds in the Better Oats did not give me super-hero ancient Druid powers as I was hoping!

Next time, I review Kellogg's Nutri-Grain Apple Cinnamon Soft Baked Bars.  Crunch on!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment