Sunday, March 3, 2019

Day 78 - CrimsonCrisp, an Apple Cult and is organic really better?


This is a CrimsonCrisp,  the 3rd apple variety I was able to try from Peck & Bushel Organic Fruit Co before they closed for the season.  They describe it as a wonderful new apple with a firm sweet/tart complex flavor that has a cult following, not a cult-like following but a cult following.  I was hoping there might actually be some weird apple cult out there with robes and secret meeting places and a cool apple logo and a weekly sacrifice of some other kind of fruit.  I probably would have joined!  After extensive research the last 5 minutes, it appears these rumors are greatly exaggerated, I guess some people like this guy.  I thought it was ok.


CrimsonCrisp has roots in Golden Delicious, Red Rome and Jonathan apples.  They keep 4-6 months when properly stored and don't fall off the tree easily which makes for less waste or potential damage.  They are supposed to be a deep crimson color although the half peck I purchased were not.  I found them to be fairly crisp, more tart than sweet, medium in size. 

Keep in mind, these were organic apples.  I have discussed in past blogs that organic apples although healthier for the environment, the farmers and the consumer, they don't generally look and taste better and are more expensive.  Many studies using casual and expert tasters have shown that the quality of organics is based more on emotion and pre-conceived perception than the actual taste and appearance.  Organic has a shorter growing season and a smaller yield means more land is required for a good output.  Look man, in my experience non-organic is generally better.  I look forward to trying several kinds of organics from Peck & Bushel this coming season. 

There are reasons that genetic modification, chemicals and pesticides are used for non-organic apples. This makes for a more consistent, pleasant appearance, larger fruit, increased shelf life and better control of the flavor.  It has also helped to feed the masses with it's quantity and not everybody can afford organic fruit.

My conclusion here, CrimsonCrisp is a decent, middle of the road apple but if I had tried a non-organic version, from what I have read, I might have loved it!  I say, wash your fruit people and if you are eating an apple every day like I am, try to eat organic apples at least some of the time.

Next time, I review a SugarBee apple and The Brown Note beer, crunch on!


2 comments:

  1. "I was hoping there might actually be some weird apple cult out there with robes and secret meeting places and a cool apple logo and a weekly sacrifice of some other kind of fruit. I probably would have joined!"

    I mean, you already have the robe, so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My own apple cult, of course. I will get on that right away, ha-ha-ha!!!!!

      Delete