Thursday, February 21, 2019

Day 77 - Snowsweet


This apple is smiling at me, sweet, Snowsweet!  I got this at Peck & Bushel Organic Fruit Co.  Organic fruit is often not pretty.  They have physical flaws and might not grow as big as their non-organic counterparts.  This flaw made for a happy little apple until I bit it's face off!

 I liked the Snowsweet.  I had to buy a half peck of them which is aprox. 5.6 lbs.  It is a sweet apple with a good tart balance.  It is crisp, the flesh is snow white.  They are also bred to be slow to brown.  That's cool, kind of like the Opal which was my Day 21 review. https://mikegrunertblog.blogspot.com/2017/03/day-21-opal.html.  I did extensive testing on the Opal, finding that a slice after 3 hours had little browning!  I didn't have a chance to do this test with the Snowsweet.  

Snowsweet is a late season apple.  It is a cross between a Sharon and a Connell Red.



While I'm writing this, I'm listening to Power Windows by Rush.  It is an album that I kind of ignored back in the day.  Power Windows came out in 1985.  I just discovered Rush around 1986 and gravitated immediately to all the cool progressive stuff of the 70's and early 80's.  Grace Under Fire, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire was the dark period for me, wanting the rock!

Being such a huge fan, I'm embarrassed to say I think this is the 1st time I've listened to this album all the way through but I'm digging it at the moment.  I was more familiar with live versions of the Power Windows songs in that half the tracks were on Rush's 1989 album, A Show of Hands, which I bought and listened to in high school.  It even got played on the radio at the time.  I would say now that Power Windows is my favorite of these 3 albums.  They seem to have their "new" sound more figured out than on Grace Under Fire.  Though there is a lot of keyboard and some electronic drums, the guitar is more in yer face and on Hold Your Fire, they were about to transition their sound a bit again and some of it, I was just like, blah.  I have mad respect for these MOFO's!

So to recap, Snowsweet is good, just not as good as fucking Rush! Next time, I review CrimsonCrisp, an apple with a cult following.  Could it be evil?  Crunch on!

No comments:

Post a Comment