Monday, February 18, 2019

Day 76 - Wolf River


Wolf River, could this be the official apple of my punk/metal band The Night Howls?  Read on...


It was September 2018.  I hadn't seen any new apples in a while and I was getting restless and borderline depressed.  I was hitting the sauce pretty hard and I don't mean apple sauce! (apple sauce review coming soon, one of the top requests from internal voice no.5)  I'm talking whiskey people, though sometimes apple whiskey.  I went on the world wide web and did some googling.  I discovered not too far from me was an apple orchard that looked intriguing and was indeed, intriguing, Peck & Bushel Organic Fruit Co. (see my Day 75 blog). https://mikegrunertblog.blogspot.com/2019/02/day-75-peck-bushel-organic-fruit-co.html

One of the apples I tried was the Wolf River.  It is a large, historic, antique variety originating from Wolf River, WI circa 1870.  The Wolf River is know as a good cooking apple with it's large size, ability to keep it's shape when exposed to extreme heat and does not require much extra sugar when cooking.

My experience was not that of a very good eating apple.  The skin was thick and somewhat bitter.  The white flesh looked nice but was a little mealy and lacked character.  

Even with it's cool title that compliments my band name, Wolf River cannot be the official apple of The Night Howls.  (though we really should have an official apple, hit me up with suggestions)  A good eating apple is essential to represent The Night Howls, one that is sweet and juicy, tart and floral, crisp and snappy.  It don't have to look pretty but must be so alluring that tasters cannot help but devour it to it's core in a ravenous rage with gnashing of teeth, screaming, convulsing and then topped off with a good belch!

Next time, I review Snowsweet, crunch on and rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment