Saturday, March 11, 2017

Day 21 - Opal



Today's apple is the Opal.  They claim it does not brown when you slice it so it would be great in salads or on a fruit tray.  If this is true, I will save money the next time my wife wants jewelry. Instead of a precious Opal stone, I will buy her an Opal apple ring!  I am testing this claim right now. Check out the before and after pics of a slice below.  I am impressed!  There is some browning but much less than you usually see.  I have had apples start to brown in just a few minutes while eating them.

Just after slicing

1 hour after slicing

2 hours after slicing 
3 hours after slicing



A beautiful Opal apple ring

The Opal originated in Europe in 1999.  It has been available in the US since 2010.  It is the first US apple variety to be verified by the Non-GMO Project, the only independent verification in North America for non-GMO food.  That means it is never genetically modified.  The Opal is a cross between a Golden Delicious and a Topaz.

The appearance is bright yellow.  It is sweet, crisp and what stands out most, VERY juicy, you'll need a napkin for this one!

Tomorrow, I review the Pinata.  Hopefully, I won't want to smash it with a stick!

I must venture out for more apples.  After the Pinata, I will have tried all the varieties currently available at the couple of grocery store chains I have frequented so far.  I know they are out there and I will, like the Vikings before me, crunch on !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment