Friday, March 17, 2017

Day 26 - Organic Honey Crisp


I saw her across the room.  She had the most amazing skin and that shape!  I said, "Hey honey, are you for real!"  She said, "Yeah, I'm all natural, baby!"

Today's apple is the Organic Honeycrisp.  I have exhausted all the apple varieties available to me at the moment so the next option is to try the organic version of a few.  I picked this one up at Sendik's food market.  Organic foods tend to be more expensive, Honeycrisp apples are expensive anyway but the organic version at Sendik's is $5.99 a pound!  I paid $3.49 for this apple.

What does organic mean?  Simply stated, organic produce are grown without the use of pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, genetically modified organisms, or ionizing radiation.  Apples are considered one of the foods most susceptible to pesticide contamination, partly because the spray can pool in the dip on top of the fruit and sink into the core.  The U.S. government and international government groups have data that shows a direct link to pesticides and: “brain and nervous system toxicity, cancer, hormone disruption, skin/eye/lung irritation, and even ADHD.”

OK, so how was my apple?  First off, visually it was a thing of beauty, look at those markings!  The flesh inside was an unblemished creamy white.  It was crisp and juicy, more tart than sweet, no browning occurred while eating.  I paired my apple with a little Triple Cream Buterkase cheese from Brennan's food market, where I found the Koru apple, and it was lovely!  

Organic Honeycrisp and I had a great time but she is an expensive date.  Maybe I will see her again...

Organic or not is a personal choice.  Wash your apples and do what's right for you, playa!

Tomorrow, I review the Organic Gala.  Crunch on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment