Thursday, March 16, 2017

Day 25 - Aurora



Today's apple is the Aurora.  They are a cream to pale yellow color, a cross between a Splendour and a Gala.  They originated in Summerland, BC, Canada.  They are sweet and juicy but are known to bruise and brown easily.  The name came from a national Name that Apple contest.  The winner was a woman from Ottawa who said the apple reminded her of the Northern Lights, also known as the Aurora Borealis.  I have never seen The Northern Lights but.....ok lady, if you say so?  I will ask my mom, as she has been to Alaska a few times and seen the Aurora Borealis.  I have included a picture of this wonder of nature.  Look, it's a face!

My specimen today had an interesting shape. Like described, it was sweet and juicy with a thin skin. It also had a subtle spicy quality, almost like there was a little cinnamon in there.  Don't get me started on cinnamon, I love that stuff!  It did however bruise and brown quite easily.  It developed a few bruises in just the few days I've had it and I take care of my apples, yo!  It also started turning brown in just the short time I was eating it.

My conclusion, Aurora tasty, but the browning and bruising is no good.  If you want to handle it with the softest of gloves and store it in the most optimal of climate controlled conditions, who knows?

Tomorrow, I review an Organic Honey Crisp.  It is the first of a few organic versions of apples I have tried, as I have gone through the rest of them at the moment.  As seasons change, different varieties will become available.  Crunch on!


No comments:

Post a Comment