Friday, March 10, 2017

Day 20 - Smitten, Apple Brandy



Today's apple is the Smitten.  Maybe it's the brandy talking but if I were an apple, I would be smitten for the Smitten!  I am not an apple but I do like the Smitten and the E & J Brandy with Apple Liqueur.

Smitten is a recent apple from New Zealand.  It's parents are not named (they are thought to be in the witness protection program) but it's grandparents are Falstaff, Fiesta, Braeburn and Gala, a fine lineage!

My apple was tasty.  It had a crisp bite, was sweet with honey notes and a touch of acidity.  It did have a weird brown spot inside I cut out.

It's Friday night yo.  I decided to pair my Smitten with some E & J Brandy with Apple Liqueur on the rocks.  E & J  Brandy has been around since 1975.  This apple version was not bad, a sweet apple flavor with hints of vanilla and caramel.  It is 30% alcohol, recommended to drink on the rocks or mixed with something.  It's not real smooth so straight up ain't the best.  It would be great mixed with apple cider, in fact I will try it now (cider review soon).  I just tried it with cider and a shake of cinnamon (I consume cinnamon every day) and it was delicious!  Cranberry juice and Ginger Ale would also be good mixers.

Tomorrow, I review the Opal.  Crunch and drink on!

No comments:

Post a Comment