Monday, March 6, 2017

Day 16 - Ruby Frost


Today's apple is the Ruby Frost.  It is rumored that Ruby Tuesday by The Rolling Stones was written about this apple being eaten on a Tuesday on a Winter's day.  This rumor is however, unlikely since Ruby Frost just became available in 2013 and I started the rumor.  It would have been cool though, a good song.

I was out searching for the elusive Pacific Rose Friday.  I found some but they were a dull red color and literally as big as a baby's head!  I don't want to eat a weird baby head apple, this was not the apple that Tom showed me at work on Wednesday!  My wife, we'll call her Laura, after many a sigh, not being as excited as I by scouring apple bins on a Friday night when we could be home drinking wine, found the Ruby Frost.  She said it sounded like a good super hero name so I bought it.

Crunch Time Apple Growers of New York state released two new varieties in 2013, the Ruby Frost and the Snap Dragon.  I probably won't get a chance to try a Snap Dragon this year as their growing season has ended.

My apple was sour but flavorful, crisp and juicy, decent, as Bubbles of The Trailer Park Boys would say.

Tomorrow, I review the Lady Alice.  Crunch on!

No comments:

Post a Comment