Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Day 42 - Cortland


Today's apple is the Cortland.  It originated in Geneva, New York in 1898.  It has long been one of the most produced apples in the state.  I lived in New York for a number of years and my parents were born there.  When I started this blog and asked my mom about apples to review, she immediately thought of the Cortland.

The Cortland is a hybrid of the McIntosh and Ben Davis.  It is generally a medium size and the shape is slightly squished or flattened on top and round.  It's a purdy apple, golden with flushes, streaks and stripes of bright red.

Being slow to brown, the Cortland is great for slicing or adding to salads.  It does however, have a short shelf life so stop dilly dallying and eat your damn apple!

The crisp, finely-grained white flesh is exceptionally juicy with a sharp, sweet-tart, vinous flavor. Other than the skin being a little thick for my liking, this apple is alright by me.  Happy Birthday Kat, you are not a complete disappointment!

The Cortland has a fresh, all-American quality that makes me think about playing outside or trick-or-treating in the Fall as a kid and watching Little House on the Prairie.  Boy that Nellie Oleson sure was a bitch!

My next review will be of the GIGANTIC Pippin apple.  Crunch on!

No comments:

Post a Comment