Thursday, October 5, 2017

Day 43 - Pippin



Today's apple is the Pippin, also known as the Newtown Pippin or Albemarle Pippin.  It is one of the oldest apple varieties in the United States, discovered as a chance seedling in Newtown, NY in 1730.  The Pippin is said to have been a favorite of Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, and Ben Franklin.  Lin-Manuel Miranda could have written a song about it!

Light green or yellow in color, the Pippin is often splashed with orange or red russetted highlights. It is quite tart and known as a good cooking apple.  However, in modern times, it has been eclipsed by the Granny Smith, which is more handsome or pretty or sexy, and is less susceptible to browning or russetting.


This is a big apple!  The picture above shows it next to a Cortland and Pear Apple.  I work at the Fox affiliate in Milwaukee.  We had Barthel Fruit Farm on our morning show.  They brought a few of these and this was the smallest one!  The Pippin is big as a baby's head.  It is known by some as the Baby Head apple.  By some, I mean me but if I thought it, then someone else may have.  My point is, it's HUGE!  You wouldn't need too many of these to make a pie.

I thought the Pippin tasted ok.  Again, I think it is better for baking, quite tart, a thick skin that will keep it from breaking down too soon and it is kind of mealy. 

I saved half of my Pippin.  It will actually go well with the product that I will review next, Marzetti Peanut Butter Carmel Dip for applesThis product and I go back a long way to my 1st apartment while in college and it's story is filled with intrigue and drama!  Tune in next time and crunch on!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Crunch on! Baby head may not encourage people to EAT it, but maybe make old time straw dolls with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thanks for leaving a comment!

    ReplyDelete