Sunday, October 22, 2017

Day 47 - Rome


Today's variety is the Rome apple.  Rome apples are usually solid bright to deep red in color although this one was not.  They are available in Fall and early Winter.  Rome apples are considered one of the best cooking apples on the market.  Their dense flesh and thick skin allows them to hold up well in shape and texture while cooking and the process enhances the flavor and sweetness as well.

The Rome apple was named after Rome township, Ohio where it was first planted in 1817.  Today it is grown in apple regions all over the United States.

The flavor of my Rome was subtle, not as flashy, sweet or tart as some varieties but it is known as a cooking/baking apple.  I ate a third of it and gave the rest to my wife for an apple chutney she is making to serve with roasted pork and root vegetables.  It should be yummy!  The recipe she found for the chutney called for Galas and Granny Smiths but she forgot to buy them.  "Damn it woman!" I thought loudly but did not say.  By some miracle, (Am I being sarcastic?  Yes.) I had some apples around.  She used the Rome and some Zestar apples.  They should be good for this.  I already know the shit is going to be killer, no doubt!

Next time, I review the Haralson apple.  Crunch on!


No comments:

Post a Comment