Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Day 55 - Suncrisp


What huge apple secrets young Gary could have shared with me but I will never know because Gary is... dead!  Maybe he's not dead but he is missing.  His last words to me were, "Enjoy your Suncrisp apples sir."

It was October 23rd, the brisk feel of Fall permeating the air.  I went to Basse's Taste of Country, a great place to pick your own pumpkins, go for a hayride, get lost in their 8 acre corn maze (Gary, I'm just saying) or get some apples.


I entered the quaint country store filled with various jams/jellies, pickled things, pumpkins, apples, knick knacks and funny looking gourdes.  The room smelled of apple cider donuts and I would have got one or six if my visit hadn't ended so abruptly.  Perusing the apple section, I found mostly common apples like the Cortland and I wanted something more interesting.  I found a bag of Suncrisp apples that looked intriguing but I thought this place must have more to choose from, maybe in the back.

I went to the counter where a zit-faced teen with a Bieber haircut circa 2009 and a name tag that read: Gary, was manning the register.  He asked if I wanted the bag of apples I was holding and I said, "Yes, but what else do you got, where are the cool, experimental apples?  This place has acres of apple trees and it is prime season."  Our eyes met and I could see he was nervous and hiding something.  I said, "come on, show me the cool apples."  He claimed not to know what I was talking about but I pressed him like an apple in an apple press.  I got in his face and yelled, "Show me the fucking apples punk!"  He said, "Ok, keep it down.  I'll show you but it's gonna cost you."  I nodded in agreement.  I was willing to shell out phat stacks yo for artisinal apples.

We ventured into the back room, approaching a large crate.  There were some great specimens in that box, I could feel it!  Gary looked both ways nervously, we were just about to open the crate when I heard, "Stop right there, don't even think about opening that box!"  Three large gentlemen had entered the room, one with a shovel, one with a pitchfork and one with a machete.  They scolded Gary saying he should know better that nobody else is supposed to see this.  With eyes of daggers, they told Gary to say goodbye to the nice customer and told me I should leave now!  That is when Gary said, "Enjoy your Suncrisp apples sir."  I threw down five bucks and left.  As I was leaving, I heard Gary screaming, "no-no-no, I'm sorry, arrghhhh!"

I was a little concerned about Gary and returned to Basse's Taste of Country a few days later.  I asked the woman at the register if Gary was around.  She said no Gary had ever worked there.  I described him and stated I had been there a few days prior.  She said again more firmly that she had never worked with a Gary!  I bought an apple cider donut (it was delicious) and left.

Now for the review.  The Suncrisp was developed in New Jersey in 1994.  It is a mix of a Cortland, a Cox's Orange Pippin and a Golden Delicious.  They are small to medium in size and the skin is yellow with patches of red covering up to 40 percent of the fruit.  They don't brown easily and can be kept up to 6 months when refrigerated.  In fact, they are know to be sweeter and tastier after several weeks.

Wherever you are Gary, sorry if I got you in trouble.  If it's any consolation, know that I enjoy the Suncrisp apples you sold me, thanks dude!

Next time, I review the Spartan apple.  Crunch on, do it for Gary!

No comments:

Post a Comment