Friday, November 3, 2017

Day 50- Zestar! and Apples: A Headbanger's Journey


Today's apple is the Zestar!  This is also my 50th apple blog, hooray!  It seems like only 7 months, 18 days since I wrote my 25th apple blog about the Canadian and very polite Aurora apple.  How time marches on, for whom the bell tolls!  To commemorate this glorious occasion, here is a link to my song about all things apples, Apples: A Headbanger's Journey.  https://thenighthowls1.bandcamp.com/track/apples-a-headbangers-journey  Thanks to anyone who has read my blog, you are truly good people and I want to have your babies!  Don't worry, this is a legit link to The Night Howls (my band) bandcamp page.  There are lyrics on there as well.  Please check it out if you like apples or Metal music or clicking on links in general, if you are like Rum Tum Tugger, a curious cat!



Now the Zestar!,  also known as the Minnewasheta.   It was used in combination with the Honey Crisp to produce the last apple I reviewed, the SweeTango!  

The Zestar! was introduced in 1999, developed by the University of Minnesota.  It is a small, round, early season apple.  They ripen in late August to early September and have a shelf life about 2 months when refrigerated.  The color of the skin is usually 60 - 80% red with shaded cream yellow areas.

The Zestar! tastes alright.  It is juicy with a decent sweet/tart mix.  The growers claim the flavor has notes of brown sugar but I don't taste it, you are just ok but not bad, Minnewasheta apple!

Next time.  I do a comparison of apple cider and apple juice.  What is the difference,?  What's better for what?  Do we even give a shit?  Find out soon, thank's for reading and crunch on!

No comments:

Post a Comment